Outstanding Airmen recognized during annual Awards Ceremony and Banquet
By Airman 1st Class Thomas Cox
152nd Airlift Wing
RENO, Nev. – The Nevada Air National Guard recognized its top performers February 11 during its annual Awards and Outstanding Airmen of the Year ceremony and banquet. The event was hosted by the local chapter of the Enlisted Association of the National Guard of the United States at the Atlantis Resort in Reno.
Awards presented at the ceremony included the Diversity Award, the Mervin T. Johnson Memorial Safety Award, Recruiter of the Year, Unit Career Advisor of the Year, Chief’s Council Award, Commander’s Excellence Awards as well as the Airman, Noncommissioned Officer, Senior Noncommissioned Officer and Company Grade Officer of the Year Awards.
Maj. Gen. Ondra Berry, Nevada’s Adjutant General, Col. David Chauvin, Nevada Air National Guard Chief of Staff and Chief Master Sgt. Kevin Brun, State Command Chief, all praised the men and women of the Nevada Air National Guard while addressing the audience composed of service and family members, friends, and invited civic leaders.
“Congratulations to each and every one of you who has been nominated and recognized for your ‘service before self’ and for your contributions toward making the Nevada Air National Guard a great organization,” Berry said in his message to the Airmen. “In order to remain first and best at what we do, having great Airmen is a non-negotiable.”
The award winners were:
• Diversity Award – 2nd Lt. Michelee Crawford
• Mervin T. Johnson Memorial Safety Award – Staff Sgt. Hannah Kasner
• Recruiter of the Year – Technical Sgt. Chelsea Canaday
• Unit Career Advisor of the Year – Master Sgt. Sabrina Norris
• Chief’s Council Award – The 152nd Modular Airborne Fire Fighting System team
• 152nd Mission Support Group Commander’s Excellence Award – Staff Sgt. Kira Beaumont
• 152nd Operations Group Commander’s Excellence Award – The Modular Airborne Firefighting Aviation Resource Management System Office
• 152nd Medical Group Commander’s Excellence Award – Lt. Col. Bruce Gallio
• 152nd Maintenance Group Commander’s Excellence Award – Senior Master Sgt. Jennifer Harrell
• 152nd Airlift Wing Commander’s Excellence Award – Airman 1st Class Thomas Cox
• 152nd Intelligence Squadron Commander’s Excellence Award – Maj. Shay Gilliam
• 232nd Combat Training Squadron Commander’s Excellence Award – Master Sgt. Christopher Sipes
• State Headquarters Commander’s Excellence – Master Sgt. Sherri Clark
• First Sergeant of the Year – Senior Master Sgt. Javier Sosa
• Outstanding Airman of the Year – Senior Airman Kathleen Grover
• Outstanding Noncommissioned Officer of the Year – Tech. Sgt. Jesse Manizer
• Outstanding Senior Noncommissioned Officer of the year – Senior Master Sgt. Jordan Clark
• Outstanding Company Grade Officer of the year – Capt. John Miller
The winners in their respective categories for the Outstanding Airmen of the Year awards now advance to compete at the regional and, potentially, national levels of Air Force competition.